| One-Minute Clinician
How to Prevent Clinician Burnout!
Practitioner self-care: what to do?
- Sleep well, eat well, socialize, exercise
- Have strong social support
- Connect with people at work with whom you feel safe and respected
- Share with a coworker; ask for assistance: “This has been such a bad day for me and I’m really struggling”
- Practice mindfulness based stress reduction: if we can be mindful of what’s happening we can be less reactive
On an organizational level:
- Changes need to happen and be supported by leadership
- A wellness committee can be helpful
- The organization should allow for some practitioner control over when you see patients, how many patients, and for how long
- These changes can support burnout prevention